Tuesday, May 27, 2008

When I was preggers with C, Martha Stewart had an issue about baby knitting. She wrote that there was simply nothing that matched the feeling of your child wearing something you made them, staring back at you....

She was totally right!! Back then when I had all that "down" time because of pumping, I knitted a lot. I still do, but realize that my attention span is limited to small projects...

Lately, I've been having a small love affair with my hand-me-down bernina... after spending a few weeks making doll clothes, I realized that I wasn't as terrible at sewing as I thought it was and with each project, I'm gaining confidence. I've been totally loving the mixed print looks that are so popular right now, but I can't see spending the huge $$ for them. I also love the vintage prints. I've been playing around with "big" clothing for Ms. A, since I don't much care for what's being offered in the stores right now... She totally loves it when I make her something. This is the first one that came out that I don't feel ashamed if she walks out of the house wearing it.... I never want to be "that" mom who has her kid walking around in obviously home-made.

A couple of observations - either I'm crazy, or patterns really do make a difference. This one was a McCalls - it was much more involved in the making than a simplicity pattern, and I like how it looks so much more finished....

No comments: