Sunday, October 11, 2009

copic master color turnaround

Sometimes I use a color combination that I just love - or see it on someone else's card. I had been jotting them down on yellow postie pads but that has quickly gotten unworkable. After having made the hair/skin colorboard, I realized that there was no reason I couldn't so something similar for my favorite combinations. I wanted something easy to flip through and use as a reference. This Maya Road Small Calendar Stand was perfect. Not too big such that it takes up too much room, it was the perfect size and scale for my desktop.

I fully expect this to become very full eventually, and so I did not want to bulk it up too much. I set aside only two of the thick chipboard inserts to act as dividers for "warm" color charts and "cool" color charts, and quickly covered them with some scrap paper.







Next, cut several insert pages to 3"x3.75" from your favorite "use with COPIC" cardstock. Mine is Prism's Simply Smooth Cardstock.


Stamp multiples of the same easy to color stamp using your favorite "use with COPIC" ink - Mine is Memento Tuxedo Black. The stamp is from Unity Stamp Company's September 2009 Kit of the Month. I like to use the same image throughout, because it really highlights the color differences better, IMO.





Then, simply experiment with your favorite color combinations. These are a combination of my own favorites, suggestions from others in the LM stamping forum, and from me surfing the web for my favorite copic artists (many will post their color combinations with their creations). Note that these are not fully colored, nor are they all that CAREFULLY colored as to the smaller details - my goal was to catch a blend only for reference sake, not to create a perfectly colored image.





a quick, but FLAT decoration on the cover finishes the project. (I want it flat so I can maximize the insert page space).





Then its just a quick flip to find my favorite for whatever paper I'm working with.  Extra pages are clipped to the back for easy access when I come across a new combination I want to memorialize.





Right now, I really struggle with yellows and pinks, and so, plan on surfing to see what others have done.


I hope this helps... TFL. Wendy


(I design for Unity Stamp Company and Lifetimemoments)

No comments: